Skip to main content

How To Stop Squirrels from Chewing a Log Home

My wife and I live in a log home we built in Eastern Tennessee 20 years ago.  About 8 years ago, I noticed chew marks on the outside corners of my log ends and wandered what animal was doing it and why?  My dog was much too old and not aggressive enough to chase squirrels.  Then, one day I heard something chewing on the back deck, looked out, and to my surprise it was a squirrel!  Being a Builder, Home Inspector and Building Inspector in the log home mecca of Sevier County, TN; and just having a nerdy interested in such things, I did some research, asked around, and compiled a strategy to deal with the problem.
I like natural solutions that deal with these type problems because I do not want to harm the environment.  I live here too!  One pest control operator I spoke with said the squirrels are chewing to get at the salt in the wood.  (This makes sense because I used a borate solution on my logs prior to staining to deter wood boring insects.)  So, I decided to try getting a “salt lick” from my local farmer’s supply store.  I placed it in the vicinity of where they were chewing and it seemed to work.  They lost interest in chewing logs for a while, but returned when the salt lick dissolved and disappeared.  If you try this, you should place the “salt lick” in an area of the yard away from your house, but preferably covered from the rain.
Another strategy I discovered was using a mixture of essential oil of peppermint, cayenne pepper and red chili pepper mixed in a sprayer.  Spray the outside of the logs with the mixture.  Squirrels do not like the smell or bitter taste of the peppermint and peppers and will avoid the area. This will deter them for a while, but is not a permanent solution.  
I later discovered I had "flying squirrels" chewing on my log ends.  The way I discovered them was I set a trap.  Once I determined what the culprit was, I consulted experts to determine my next course of action.  The best way to remove flying squirrels is to trap them.  But, if you do not take them at least 10 miles away before releasing them, they will find their way back.  Also, when you find one, there are likely 8-10 more in the same family group that will need to be trapped.  
So, in my opinion, the most permanent solution is to remove vegetation growing in close proximity of your home, live trap the animals and relocate them.  

If we can help you with your next home purchase, please contact us at 800-511-4880.  You can get more information about me and our company at smokymountainhomeinspections.com 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

  Is Venting A Crawl Space Needed?   Traditional crawl spaces have typically been built over a dirt floor with ventilation air from foundation perimeter vents.   Recent building science studies conducted by various institutions including the University of Tennessee challenge this old way of thinking and indicate that we need to rethink traditional methods of building related to venting a crawl space.   As a Home Inspector, Home Energy Rater and Building Scientist I have witnessed many problems that moisture in crawl spaces can cause including condensation, wood rot, mold, buckling hardwood floors, smelly moldy carpets, mold in the attic, sticking doors and windows, dust mites and wood destroying organism/insect activity. I have often thought that crawl spaces are the most neglected areas of homes, and for good reason. After all, who wants to crawl into a moist, insect and rodent filled area?   In fact, most homeowners don't go there, shut it out of their minds and never thi

First Time Home Buyer Home Inspection Mistakes

  We have seen first time home buyers make some critical errors in regard to the home inspection process that can cost them money and aggravation. We offer the following advice as a guide to help you avoid those mistakes.   1- Not Having a Home Inspection: Some people do this to keep from spending 100s of dollars, but end up potentially costing themselves 1000s   It makes no sense.   2-Allowing the Seller to do repairs on Home Inspection findings.   The Seller has an incentive to use the lowest bidder to do repairs; or worse, do the repairs themselves.   In this case, the warranty on the work may not transfer to the new owner after the closing happens, then you are stuck with inferior work and little recourse.   Sometimes Real Estate Agents will ask Us to inspect after the repairs are completed by a Seller.   We don't recommend this as most of the time, we end up having to throw off on the repair, costing the buyer additional money; and making the agent and seller mad in th

When looking for a home inspector in Tennessee, what qualifications should I look for?

The most important qualification to look for is the number years the individual has been a Home Inspector. Caution: Home Inspectors will claim to have many years of experience, but they include experience in a trade or experience as a contractor.  Experience in a trade or as a contractor, while it may help in one aspect of the job, this experience will not make them a better at Home Inspection in general.  The second most important qualification to look for is education and depth of knowledge about Standard Practices contained in the State Building Code. Code certifications, and the more they have the better, are the best way to determine if a Home Inspector really knows what a "latent" defect is.  These "latent" defects are defects that are not obvious to an untrained eye, but can be important to your safety, and pocketbook, when buying a home. This is the reason people hire a home inspector in the first place- to find the defects that a casual inspection doesn'